Scatterplot

Tonight a third citizen entered the Small World and it seems like more and more people are are sharing stories!

Marinades from the past few days:

Daily Laughs:
Are there some things that make your day everyday? There's one guys at work that looks exactly like Sylar from Heroes. Everyday he wears a hat and glasses just like Sylar. I walk past him and think in my head, "SYLAR!" Then I laugh to myself a little bit. I've been watching an episode or two of South Park before going to bed too. The latest season of that show is sooo on point with the comedy. Any quirky things you see everyday at work or home that make you laugh?

Chosen Dependence:
For the longest time I've felt like I've been way too dependent on the people around me. I've been on the flipside and been that crutch for people before and it sucks. Do you have a person or persons in your life that you feel like you're dependent on when in need? Well this week I have basically embraced my alone time and really tried to make the most of it rather than getting all weirded out. I've gotten so much done and realized that alone time is actually MY TIME (when I can make shit happen). Revelation. I'm thinking too that I was never fully dependent on the person(s) but kind of loss my point of reference out here. It feels good to realize that I really do just enjoy having them around.

Slow Food:
Hegyi (the other half of Flaco's) has been telling me to get down with an organization called Slow Food, which seems pretty cool. Bringing my lunch to work is starting to make me feel like I did in elementary school. Everyone else is buying chicken nuggets and tater tots everyday (okay the occasional pizza slice) but I know that whatever I've brought is going to be as delicious as I made it (or gross). It's made me think a lot about what I actually eat AND I think something I really want to start pushing is fresh food and teaching people how easy cooking can be. Making actual dishes is just as easy and sometimes less time consuming than making pasta or macaroni. More to come on this topic SOON!

The other funny thing is people always ask me where I learned how to cook. I don't know how to cook but I definitely know how to eat. So I work backwards. I think about what tastes good. For tonight's party on the stove I invited red bell peppers (thought of you niva), garlic, onions, hmmmm some tandoori powder straight from the motherland, some thai chillies and soy sauce for good measure. I had no clue what I was making but when you use all ingredients you like, more often than not it tastes pretty good.

9 comments:

Jack Chou said...

"The other funny thing is people always ask me where I learned how to cook. I don't know how to cook but I definitely know how to eat. So I work backwards."

That's a great quote; made me laugh. Hope all is well. Enjoying your writing. Might be in Chicago in June...

Vaman said...

thanks smallchou! let me know if you're around for sure. cubs game perhaps? or drunken horse?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Since there are so many foodies turned chefs in our circle.. I vote for an Iron Chef Konkani contest at one of our conventions. And may I suggest myself as one of the judges? ^_^

P.S. Did you know that your nickname/online handle backwards says: evolv? How cool are you!?

Esha said...

I totally second Swati's idea! =D

Vaman said...

hah what would be the secret ingredient swats?

Anonymous said...

ummmmmm lets see we GOTSTA have (and mind the crappy spelling):

bibbo, coook (lol), mashinga-sang, keerlu anddddd the mightiest ingredient of them all: pathrado!

oh and if you're going to do a couple of practice runs with the above, i volunteer as taste-tester ^_^ haha

Vaman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vaman said...

what about the non-konkani readers swats? no translations?