12 not 21

Over the last two years or so, a lot of my friends have been really focused on getting older. They have started staying in a lot more and refuse to go out during the work week. I've been fighting the good fight against these evil thoughts. 21, is what I think. Live like you're 21. So I've been going out a lot and raging late into the night and having a damn good time but I realize something... the 21 year old lifestyle will always be there. Late night spots are always open and people will always frequent bars and clubs. It's not 21 that I need to focus on, it's 12.

How fun are those days when you do something super silly like play whiffle ball or play an old board game? You know the purest forms of entertainment. No expectations and no end in sight. Just enjoying the activity itself. So here are some things I have done in the past and things I have planned to feel 12 again.

BOXing - Rones and I used to put cardboard boxes on our heads and run into each other. People thought we were crazy but we would laugh like school girls.

RAZR Speedway
- Someone on our hall in our dorm had one of those crazy Razr scooters. We would put up obstacles and ramps and time ourselves through the course.

Friday Recess
- Oh yeah! I sent out an email at work AND people are all fired up about having recess on Fridays for lunch. Brown bag lunches and then switching between kickball, dodgeball, whiffle ball and maybe some ultimate frisbee. I cannot wait for this Friday lunch!

Nintendo Wii
- Buying a Wii has given me that young VLove feeling sooooo many times now. I get so lost in the games and it's one of the greatest escapes in a long, long time.

Crazy Dance Party - Rones and I used to throw on dope beats late at night and battle one another with crazy dance moves. Today, Jandro, Vito and basically everyone I chill with is down for a crazy dance challenge anytime, anyplace.

Checkers
- Residents of the former Casa de VAT will go outside with a checker board from
time to time and sign that reads, "CONNECT FOUR - 25 CENTS/GAME" and play any challengers from the street.

WEIRD OUT
- Hegyi is my favorite opponent in this game. Every time we did Flaco's, we would try to weird one another out. Whether it be with weird looks or standing in each other personal space, we were laughing the entire time.

You got anymore ideas? Send 'em my way homey! Oh and check out the Poppin' and Lockin' Marionette at the Small World Project.

I think one of the greatest feelings is making someone you don't know or someone that seems uptight feel comfortable enough to be goofy. Why don't we do this more? The beauty of kids to me is the ability to find the goofiness in every situation. A toilet paper roll becomes a ball to throw, a cup of water becomes a water fight, a piece of paper is a football, two sticks become swords, and no matter what we can escape and marinate in those few hilarious moments.

5 comments:

Ranjit said...

A toilet paper roll as a ball? That's the strangest thing I've ever heard of.

Sheets said...

VLOVIN! Recess on Friday?!?!?? Sheer freaking genius! For the first time since moving you have made me wish I was back in an office environment. Please update on the how these things turn ou! I would love to hear all about it!

archana said...

great plan! what if you also started passing notes to co-workers and bribing them with baked treats for their friendship?

"Will you be my friend?
|__| Yes
|__| No
|__| Maybe
|__| Only if you give me a cookie."

:)

Esha said...

Crazy Dance Party? I think I hear DDR calling my name. Don't even grow up Vlove! You know what I mean...

Roonie said...

12 is exactly right!