Funky Fresh May

People that spend a lot of time with me know that I am constantly jabbering about wanting to do this or how cool it would be to try that. Some people may even think I'm being insincere (since I don't follow through the majority of the time) but that's just the way I am. I love thinking about possibilities and pushing the limits. So here is a crazy idea I expressed to a few dearests and they got really excited about it. You might want to sit down for this......

From May 1st until May 31st I am going to attempt to only consume food that I cook with my own hands. That means no eating out for breakfast, lunch or dinner (or Weiner Circle late night!). It also means no chips, fries, wings, SUNFLOWER SEEDS! or other delicious snack foods in between. Basically I am going to allow myself to eat only home cooked meals mostly comprised of fresh (and canned) vegetables and fruit. Of course things like eggs and bread will be allowed. I'm thinking for snacks and the such, I'm going to take cut veggies and granola or oatmeal.

As a celebration before Funky Fresh May I indulged quite a bit today. My stomach is currently the proud owner of a Pollo Vagabundo chicken fajita burrito and a delicious al pastor torta for dinner (not to mention both are joyously swimming in all sorts of salsa and guacamole).

If you have easy recipes you would like to share, I would love the advice. I'm definitely going to constantly be referring to Anu and Cooking Light. I'll keep you all updated as much as possible on how the experiment is going! Whoooooooo!

3 comments:

Esha said...

Yooo...this is an awesome idea! Maybe I should follow suit? I think the best way to get better at cooking is to do it everyday! I'm so so psyched about the summer time because it means bbq's, summer ale's, and lots of goood food! I'm going to start a food blog so check it out. ;)

Vindhya said...

I think this is an awesome challenge that will prove to be a success in more ways than you planned. I will definitely help you plan some menus! The best way to be able to cook after a long day of work is to have awesome pantry items--artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, etc. Is premade pizza dough off your list? It's so good! I can't wait to hear more this month!

AnuZi said...

Holla!
Didn't know you read my blog but I am glad you stopped by and flattered that you will be trying out some of my recipes. When I was living by myself, I barely cooked. It seemed like a lot of work to do for just one person. But some of the benefits of cooking for yourself: its great for your pocket since buying dinners are more expensive then making, Its definitely healthier then eating out, you can make whatever YOU are craving, there's always leftovers for lunches and snacks, you can have 1 or 2 of you friends come over and cook with you...I truly believe that people bond strongly while making and breaking bread, the satisfaction that you are truly independent and did I mention women adore men who can cook! So I love this idea of trying it out for a month. Cook away!

PS (I am adding you to my blog roll)